National Service Scheme is a community service programme sponsored by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. This scheme promotes national solidarity. It would be possible to awaken the villagers and slum dwellers to their responsibilities and develop the confidence, to tackle their common problems with energy, enthusiasm and in a co-operative spirit, based on mutual aid and self-reliance. The role of students is limited as activists, enablers, catalytic agents or liaison with wider communities and as programme aids.
The motto of the National Service Scheme is "NOT ME BUT you". This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need to appreciate the other man's point of view first and to show consideration for fellow human beings. It also underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society as a whole. Therefore the aim of the NSS is to demonstrate this motto in its days to day programme.
The Over-all objective of the National Service Scheme is Service to the community, while studying, in an educational institution, It is sought to arose the social conscience of students and provide them with the opportunity to work with the people around the educational campuses creatively, and constructively, and to put the education they received to concrete social use.
1. To work with an among the people.
2. To enlarge in creative and constructive social action, and inculcate in them a sense of dignity of labour.
3. To engage his/her knowledge of himself/herself and the community through a confrontation with reality of social life.
4. To put his/her scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some of the problems
5. To gain skill in the exercise of democratic leadership.
6. To gain skills in programme development to enable him/her for self-employment.
7. To bridge the gulf between the educated and the uneducated masses; and
8. To promote the will to serve the weaker section of the community